The Guarantee and Inspection Service (GIS) is an integral part of AWMAC's ongoing effort and commitment to a credible and prosperous architectural woodwork industry.
GIS is a national program designed to ensure that project owners get value and quality for their investment by:
- supporting architects and design professionals to achieve project plans and specifications; and
- helping contractors avoid problems such as cost overruns, delays and loss of reputation.
Click the links below for further information on the Guarantee and Inspection Service:
- GIS Policy & Procedure Manual - Updated June 2015
- GIS P & P Compliance Section 1400
- 2016-17 GIS Fee Schedule
- Contact Information
- GIS brochure
- Steps of the Guarantee and Inspection Service
- GIS Wording for Specifications
- AWMAC Grades
Guarantee and Inspection Service Forms
See below for the link to the pdf fillable forms:
Please note - in order to fill in these forms and save the data to your computer you must download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the following link http://get.adobe.com/reader/
AWMAC, through its Chapters, will issue a two (2) year Certificate of Guarantee for their manufacturer members on projects which have passed the final GIS inspection if they have fulfilled the following requirements:
1. They are a member in good standing
2. They have at least one person in the firm who has successfully completed the Manufacturer Standards Questionnaire (MSQ), within the last three (3) years
3. They have submitted a Temperature and Humidity report including readings that they and their installers have taken on each day, starting the day the architectural woodwork leaves the shop, that the architectural woodwork employees and installers are on site. If the architectural woodwork is stored in a place other than on site the temperature and humidity is to be recorded daily.
The History of the Guarantee and Inspection Service
After the implementation of the AWMAC Quality Standards manual, the architectural woodwork industry identified a need for a tool to monitor projects and assure that the woodwork supplied and/or installed would be in accordance with the Quality Standards.
As a result, in the mid 1990's the AWMAC Guarantee and Inspection Service (GIS) program was developed and adopted as a national program.
The Mandate & Objectives of the Guarantee and Inspection Service
The AWMAC GIS program, through its manufacturer members in good standing, offers a two year AWMAC Guarantee Certificate on projects which have the recommended GIS wording specified in tender documents.
In order to ensure that the quality of materials and workmanship of the architectural woodwork specified are in compliance with the current AWMAC Architectural Woodwork Standards (AWS) the AWMAC Guarantee and Inspection Service program (GIS) must be specified and be considered an integral component of the scope of work.
The objective of the Guarantee and Inspection Service are:
- To assist the design authority in achieving "good architectural woodwork".
- To offer the owner, customer, design authority and woodwork contractor an assurance that strict monitoring of the architectural woodwork requirements on a given project will meet the specified AWMAC standards.
The GIS Guarantee
AWMAC shall issue the Guarantee Certificate to AWMAC manufacturer members in good standing certifying the architectural woodwork has been manufactured and/or installed in accordance with the standards incorporated in the Architectural Woodwork Standards (AWS) manual.
Subject to mandatory inspections and certain terms and limitations, the architectural woodworker (primary guarantor), AWMAC chapter (second guarantor) and AWMAC (third guarantor) will guarantee the architectural woodwork in a project for a period of two (2) years commencing on the date of issuance.
Non-AWMAC members will be required to furnish a two (2) year equivalent maintenance bond to the full value of the architectural woodwork contract.
The Cost of the GIS Program
The Guarantee Certificate is an integral part of the GIS Program and AWMAC will issue the Certificate of Guantee for its manufacturer members in good standing at no cost.
The Inspection Service is administered by the AWMAC Chapter at a set fee. Please contact the Chapter in the region of the project location for the fee structure.